The PhD program „Epidemiology and Clinical Research“ is a three-year, structured and internationally oriented doctoral program. Within the University Alliance Ruhr, the Institute of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology (IMIBE) of the University Medicine Essen, the Department of Mathematical Statistics and Biometric Applications of the Technical University Dortmund, the Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology and the Institute of Prevention and Occupational Medicine of the German Social Accident Insurance of the Ruhr-University Bochum are involved in the PhD program.
The program is designed to enable doctoral candidates to independently plan, conduct, analyze and publish studies on epidemiological and clinical issues (early detection, diagnosis, therapy and prognosis), taking into account Good Epidemiological Practice (GEP) and Good Clinical Practice (GCP). With the dissertation, the doctoral candidates prove that they achieve results through independent scientific work that serve the further development of the epidemiological field and clinical medicine.
The three-year doctoral program includes the integration into an own research project and an accompanying program designed for two years, which comprises a total of at least 300 teaching units (LE) of 45 minutes each. 263 units are compulsory and selectable modules. 37 LE can be freely chosen and are used to form focus competencies in epidemiology. The courses are offered as block courses in module form as 3-day or weekly courses. This means that the different knowledge, skills and abilities enabling the dissertation are acquired in complementary courses that build on each other. In 2 weeks per semester in each of the 1st and 2nd years of study, courses are held at the IMIBE/University Hospital in Essen. During the doctoral studies, presence at the IMIBE/University Hospital in Essen is only required for the courses and the 3-day RUHR School.
Among others, the following mandatory modules are part of the PhD program:
- Statistics program with SAS
- Medicine for non-physicians
At the Ruhr School, guest lecturers offer interesting topics in the fields of epidemiology and clinical research.
During the PhD program, the PhD students will be accompanied by two supervisors.
The third year of the PhD program is used to finalize the dissertation. Upon successful completion of the PhD program, the Medical Faculty of the University of Duisburg-Essen awards the academic degree „Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)“.
The teaching language is English.
For more information please visit: www.youtube.com
The application consists of a two-stage procedure.
For the first stage of the application, you will need the documents mentioned in points 1-8.
For the second stage, we will send you the required templates for items 9-12.
The following documents must be submitted for an application to the PhD program:
- cover letter indicating aptitude, motivation, and areas of scientific interest, as well as ideas for further career development.
- curriculum vitae
- officially certified proof that the applicant meets the admission requirements of the PhD regulations of the Medical Faculty of the University of Duisburg-Essen according to § 5.
- certified copy of the certificate entitling the holder to pursue undergraduate studies
- proof of proficiency in the English language
- signed statement on the preliminary topic of the intended dissertation by the supervisors
- indication of the intended field of doctoral studies and outline of the doctoral plan
- two letters of recommendation with reference to previous academic achievements and aptitude for scientific work
- application for admission to the PhD program
- statement indicating whether the applicant has already unsuccessfully attempted a doctoral degree
- statement in which the applicant declares that participation in the PhD program will not be achieved through commercial mediation of the supervisory relationship or other paid and unpaid assistance by third parties that is inadmissible under examination law and scientifically unjustifiable
- declaration by the intended supervisor that he/she is willing to supervise the dissertation and to continue to supervise it even if he/she leaves, unless there are important reasons for not doing so
Only complete applications will be considered.
Electronic applications must consist of a single PDF file.
Application deadline: End of November of each year
Applicants from abroad must credibly explain in a short statement how participation in the PhD program will be achieved.
Applications are sent by mail to:
Institut für Medizinische Informatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie (IMIBE)
z. Hd. Fabian Standl
D- 45147 Essen
or electronically to: epicr(at)uk-essen.de
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://imibe.uk-essen.de/phd/ abrufbar.