The Leibniz-Institut für Wissensmedien (IWM) conducts research into the acquisition and sharing of knowledge and cooperation with digital media. The Institute is a member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz Gemeinschaft) and committed to international standards of excellent science.
We are seeking to appoint a committed
PhD Student (m/f/d)
for our Social Media Lab at the nearest possible date for a period of 3 years. The scope of employment is 65%.
The Social Media Lab examines the use of (mobile) social media for knowledge-related purposes, either in professional settings or in everyday life. Current research of the group deals, for example, with science communication during the COVID-19 pandemic, informal learning with YouTube videos, or using digital virtual assistants such as chatbots or Alexa. Another research focus are algorithm literacy and algorithm acceptance.
Your task will be to plan, conduct, and analyse empirical studies, present the results on national and international conferences, and to publish the findings in international journals. In addition, you will support the administrative management of the lab. Writing your doctoral thesis on a self-generated research question in one of the research areas of the lab is desired and explicitly supported.
- Experience in planning and conducting empirical research and analyzing data (e.g., surveys, online experiments, user comments)
- Interest in working on effects of (knowledge-related) social and mobile media use, in particular in informal settings, algorithm awareness, or human-machine communication
- Openness towards Open Science
- Interest/expertise in computational methods (automated content analysis, big data) is an asset
- Above average degree (master, diploma, or equivalent) in psychology, communication science, cognitive science, or a related discipline
- Good command of English; knowledge of German is an asset
- Work in a cooperative and enthousiastic team
- A structured doctoral studies programme containing education in methods and soft skills, an inspiring scientific environment and the opportunity for a stay abroad
- An attractive remuenration based on the collective agreement for the public service in the federal states of Germany (pay group 13 TV-L, 65%, approx. gross salary p.a.: 1st year EUR 33,000, from 2nd year EUR 35,500), including the social benefits customary in public service22
- Allowances for participation in German language courses as well as active work-life balance support, including subsidies towards the cost of accommodating and caring for pre-school children
Please send your application as a PDF file – including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates and names and addresses of two or more references – quoting “reference number 1015-2021” by email to career(at)iwm-tuebingen.de.
Equal opportunities play a key role in our human resources policies. Applications from equally qualified candidates with disabilities will be given preference.
Leibniz-Institut für Wissensmedien
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.iwm-tuebingen.de/www/de/karriere/stellenangebote/anzeige.html?kind=wissenschaftlich#ausschreibung1015-2021 abrufbar.