Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract | Duration: 36 Month
Postdoc in Psychology / Education / Learning Analytics
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (FHSE) brings together expertise from the humanities, linguistics, cognitive sciences, social and educational sciences. People from across 20 disciplines are working within the Faculty. Along with the disciplinary approach a very ambitious interdisciplinary research culture has been developed.
The faculty’s research and teaching focuses on social, economic, political and educational issues with the common goal of contributing to an inclusive, open and resourceful society. The FHSE offers four Bachelor and 15 Master degrees and a doctoral school providing students with the necessary knowledge and high-qualified skills to succeed in their future career.
The CBA Research Group forms part of the Institute of Cognitive Science and Assessment (COSA) and the Department of Behavioural and Cognitive Science. As a Research Group, we seek to explore students’ cognitive skills, personality, and environments with the use of educational technology to enable students to develop their full potential, increase the scientific understanding of a host of different target variables, and to foster lifelong learning across age levels. We do research on the theoretical understanding of these topics, conduct empirical investigations in diverse student (and other) populations, and ultimately, we ask how to foster important antecedents of later success in life.
In this, we are interested in cognitive skills such as problem solving, working memory, and intelligence but also in personality components such as collaboration, motivation, or meta-cognition. In a comprehensive view of skill development, learning, and teaching, we focus on different levels of understanding including individual processes and performance outcomes, learning environments, and societal context factors employing a host of quantitative methods.
- Self-contained research and development of an individual profile within the areas of content of the research group
- Independent supervision of Bachelor and Master theses as well as project leadership
- Supporting the preparation of grant proposals as well as preparing own proposals
- Publications (in English-speaking peer reviewed journals and at scientific conferences)
- Data analysis and application of methods on a high level
- Establishing scientific partnerships and representing the research group externally
- Responsibilities in academic self-government
- Teaching (to a very limited extent)
What we expect from you…
- Excellent PhD in Psychology, Education, Computer Science, or a related field
- Record of international publications and excellent English in speech and writing
- Experience with applying for, pursuing, and managing external third party funding
- Good knowledge of or at least interest in quantitative methods
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally (pending current travel restrictions)
- Ability to work independently, strong personal commitment, ability to work under pressure, teamwork & cooperation skills, administrative skills, creativity, determination
- Last but not least enthusiasm about, high commitment for, and enjoyment in research as well as the intention to pursue a career in academia
- Participation in a young, committed, and dynamically developing team
- Affiliation to a very active research group with a profile of diverse activities
- Excellent research and funding conditions on a personal and a research level at an international and multilingual university
- Attractive personal conditions in line with the collective agreements
- Grown connections to international partners in research, practice, and policy making
- Good possibilities to establish an independent individual research profile and to pursue a habilitation (if wished)
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month - renewable up to 60 months in total
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Earliest starting date: February 2022
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04585
How to apply...
Applications in English should be submitted online and include:
- Curriculum Vitae (including your contact address, work experience, publications, as well as all other academic achievments)
- Cover letter explaining your motivation
- Transcript of your PhD dissertation
- A short description of your PhD work (max 1 page)
- Contact information for at least two referees
We ensure a full consideration for applications received by 31/01/2022. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
- Find out more about the University
- Addresses, maps & routes to the various sites of the University
Please direct further questions to Prof Dr Samuel Greiff: samuel.greiff(at)uni.lu
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://recruitment.uni.lu/en/details.html?id=QMUFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4S8&nPostingID=70079&nPostingTargetID=102234&mask=karriereseiten&lg=UK abrufbar.