The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research university.
The University of Luxembourg invites applications for the following vacancy in its Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education (FLSHASE):
PhD (Doctoral Candidate) in the field of Human-Computer Interaction / User Experience (m/f)
- Ref: 50014790
- Fixed-term contract: 3 years (possibility of renewal for a fourth year)
- Full-time, 40 hrs/week
- Student and employee status
The Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research group at the Institute of Cognitive Science and Assessment (COSA) is looking for a PhD candidate to research and contribute to addressing User Experience (UX) issues for Luxembourg railroad’s customers. The PhD project is a collaboration with Luxembourg’s National Railroad Company (CFL). CFL counts 23+ millions of customers/year and operates one of the most critical infrastructures for national and cross-border commuting. The project falls into an exciting phase as Luxembourg will be the first country in the world to introduce free public transport in 2020. Within this high-impact project, the candidate will benchmark current travel experiences and devise innovative methods in contribution to CFL’s effort to improve their customer satisfaction. The project is proposed to include two use cases regarding (1) customer information design and (2) the digital customer experience. Specific exemplary topics of interest are: capture and understand customer needs in a complex mobile environment; model a dynamic multi-modal door-to-door travel experience; understand the multi-contextual perception of waiting time and customer frustration, devise remedial experience strategies such as smart information-providing, attention-shift strategies, improved complaint and information services; guide the development of an innovative customer app based on a thorough UX design process.
The candidate is expected to develop their PhD project around those objectives, and to define the precise outline and research questions in conjunction with all involved parties.
The successful candidate integrates University of Luxembourg’s interdisciplinary Human-Computer Interaction Group - a team that holds a strong experience in partnership projects. The PhD candidate will closely collaborate with the project partner CFL. Under the supervision of Prof. Vincent Koenig, the candidate gets the opportunity of completing a doctoral thesis in the area of Psychology / Human-Computer Interaction. S/he will have access to state-of-the-art facilities (e.g. user laboratory) and will be supported by CFL for all field- and customer-related matters.
- Completing a doctoral thesis in Psychology
- Collaboration and efficient interfacing with all relevant parties
- Participation in the doctoral training activities of COSA / HCI
- Preparation of research publications and participation in academic conferences
- Participation in the joint research group activities (e.g., team meetings, brainstorming sessions, paper club, colloquia)
- Liaise with project partners, prepare reports and coordinate meetings
- Learn the specificities of the partner’s field of activities and meet all stakeholders on a regular basis; spend an appropriate proportion of time at the partner’s place
- Disseminate transferable and applicable research findings progressively over the project time to the partners, using appropriate vocabulary and methods (talks, trainings, workshops)
- Provide assistance to general research group activities when appropriate (e.g., teaching, connecting with other research projects)
Prof. Vincent Koenig
- Master’s degree in social sciences
- Strong background in HCI (psychology or cognitive science is preferred, a computer-science profile might however also fit)
- Conversant with research methods in social sciences (e.g., empirical research, experiment design, questionnaire design) as well as statistical methods
- Familiar with HCI concepts and methods for UX design and evaluation
- Prior experience in UX design would be an asset
- Team-player while able to work autonomously
- At ease connecting with the partners’ customers and other potential users, and all stakeholders in the field
- Excellent written and spoken proficiency in English
- Strong proficiency in either French or German, ideally both; proficiency in Luxembourgish would be an additional asset
- High interest and proficiency with IT
- A liking for transportation industry and digital communication
- A supportive academic community
- Access to cutting-edge research facilities
- The partner’s commitment to supporting your research
- A personal workspace at the University
- A vibrant interdisciplinary and multilingual environment
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of publications if applicable)
- Copy of diplomas
- Full transcripts of previous degrees
- Relevant reference letter(s) (if available)
The successful candidate should be able to take up the position as soon as possible.
Please apply online (in English, French or German) by September 18, 2019.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://recruitment.uni.lu/en/details.html?id=QMUFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4S8&nPostingID=39736&nPostingTargetID=53899&mask=karriereseiten&lg=UK abrufbar.