The Max Planck Institute of Animal Behavior at its sites in Konstanz and Radolfzell offers an international, interdisciplinary, and cooperative environment that opens up unique research opportunities. The goal of our basic research is to develop a quantitative and predictive understanding of the decisions and movements of animals in their natural environment.
For the Development and Evolution of Cognition Research Group at the Max Planck Institute of Animal Behavior we are looking to fill the following positions starting in January or February 2023. The workplace will be primarily in Konstanz.
Technician Assistant (m/f/d)
(100 % / optional part time)
The Development and Evolution of Cognition Research group is a growing, international research lab (https://www.ab.mpg.de/265257/schuppli) lead by Dr. Caroline Schuppli and embedded within the stimulating research environment of the Max Planck Institute of Animal behavior (https://www.ab.mpg.de/). The lab currently includes 2 postdocs, 2 technicians, 2 PhD students as well as, Master, and Bachelor students. Our team is highly collaborative and aims at creating a friendly and jointly productive research environment.
The work of the Development and Evolution of Cognition Research Group is largely based on orangutan behavioral research. We work with long-term data on a population of wild orangutans as well as with data collected on zoo housed orangutans.
The two positions advertised here will focus on work around four major areas:
- Entering and organizing different types of data that were collected in the field, processing already entered data, as well as maintaining and expanding our MySQL orangutan behavioral data base.
- Collecting behavioral and laser photogrammetry data on orangutans in different zoos.
- Contributing to different scientific papers, in the form of data wrangling, analyses etc., according to the skills of the applicant.
- Public outreach and administration work for the SUAQ project, and research administration.
- State accreditation as a technician assistant or appropriate qualifications based on your professional experience or a university degree in biology, psychology, or a related field
- Strong interest in primate behavior
- Good team player who likes to be part of and contributing to different aspects of the research process
- Very good verbal and written language skills in English
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications and R programming language
- Experience with collecting and analyzing animal behavioral data
- Eye for detail and ability to work precisely
- Patience and stamina for detail work
- Good organizing skills
Additional skills that would be useful for the position:
- Knowledge of German language
- Knowledge of MySQL, Python, or other programming languages
- Knowledge of primate behavioral data collection protocols
- Knowledge of statistical analysis techniques
- GPS data handling experience
- Experience with graphic design and photographs
- Writing skills (mainly English but also German and Indonesian)
- Experience with/ interest in conservation/ NGO work
- Experience with laser photogrammetry measurements
We are not looking for somebody with all these skills, but we aim at building a team with a good mix of talents.
The position will start in January 2023, limited for 2 years with possible extensions. We offer an interesting job in an open-minded team, a responsible and varied workplace in a growing interdisciplinary and international research institute. The payment is made in accordance with your experience and qualification and the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD-Bund), but not higher than the salary group 9a.
The Max Planck Society endeavors to employ more severely disabled people. Applications of severely disabled persons are expressly welcome. The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to receiving your application until December 5th, 2022, with your CV, the contact information of two references and a short motivation letter. With the motivation letter, you should introduce yourself and list the relevant skills that you would bring to the team.
Please submit your application documents through our online portal.
Questions about this position will be answered by Dr. Caroline Schuppli (cschuppli(at)ab.mpg.de).
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://bewerbermanagement.net/jobposting/7a1c0fd7eb218202fa729766fc0fe64809538aa7?ref=homepage abrufbar.