Postdoctoral researcher for the Heidelberg Institute of Global Health (m/f/d)
wanted as of 01.04.2023 for the Institute of Global Health (HIGH) at Heidelberg University.
The Institute of Global Health at Heidelberg University, Germany’s oldest university and a leading hub for health-related research in Europe, is looking for an outstanding postdoctoral research fellow. The researcher should have experience in design and implementation of randomized control trials. The researcher will work under the mentorship of Professor Till Bärnighausen, Professor Joacim Rocklöv and together with Dr. Marina Treskova on a project aimed to evaluate the effectiveness and implementation of a community-based intervention aiming at a reduction of zoonotic infectious disease risk stemming from human behavior and practices among the communities in South-East Asia (Thailand and Laos).
- Job-ID: V000010668
- Field of application: Heidelberg Institute of Global Health
- Location: Heidelberg
- Start date: 01.04.2023
- Job Category: Science and teaching
- Working hours: full-/part-time
- Published: 10.01.2023
- Limitation: Temporary (3 years, possibility of an extension)
- Contract: TV-L
Tasks and responsibilities
The postdoctoral fellow will lead the development of the intervention and the design, ethics clearance, implementation, data collection and analyses of cluster randomized cluster trials in the partner countries (Thailand and Laos) envisioned to measure the causal effects and impacts of a Pandemic Literacy intervention on behavioural risk of zoonotic infections. The fellow will be the point person to oversee two cluster randomized trials and will be expected to collaborate with an international team of researchers and stakeholders from vastly different areas, including veterinary sciences, wildlife biology, virology, ecology, social sciences, and anthropology. The fellow will be expected to publish in high-impact peer-reviewed journals.
The postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to co-supervise PhD and Dr. med (thesis as part of medical studies in Germany) students, and supervise Masters students. The fellow will also have the opportunity to teach as part of the institute’s Masters and doctoral program but will not be required or expected to do so. Thus, the position offers the possibility for habilitation (German equivalent of Associate Professor).
- Doctoral degree in public health, epidemiology, infectious diseases, or psychology
- Strong quantitative training and experience in running and evaluating cluster randomized trials
- Experience in conducting field research in LMICs, preferably in South-East Asia is a plus
- Strong documentation, databasing and coding skills in R, Stata, or other statistical software package
- Good communication skills in English (knowledge of German is not necessary)
- Communication skills in Thai is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience in working in Thailand and / or Laos are an advantage
- High degree of independence, initiative and responsibility
- Willingness to travel for field work
- Open-mindedness and intercultural competence
- Goal-oriented, individual training and development opportunities
- Targeted initial training
- Targeted training on the job
- Ticket for public transport
- Subsidy for vacation care for school children
- Active health promotion
- Company pension plan
- Access to the university library and other university facilities (e.g. university sports)
Contact & Application
Please apply by sending a motivation letter, CV, and certificates to Marina Treskova via e-mail. Please submit your application by February 15th, 2023.
Heidelberg Institute of Global Health
Im Neuenheimer Feld 130.3
We stand for equal opportunities. Severely disabled persons are given priority in the case of equal suitability. The University Hospital aims to generally increase the proportion of women in all areas and positions in which women are underrepresented. Qualified women are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Full-time positions are generally divisible, unless there are official or legal reasons to the contrary.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://karriere.klinikum.uni-heidelberg.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=17660 abrufbar.