The Department of Computer Science at TU Darmstadt, Human Computer Interaction group (Prof. Dr. Jan Gugenheimer), is inviting appliations for the position of a
Research Assistant/PhD Student (all genders)
in a fixed-term contract for a duration of up to 3 years.
Study perceptual manipulation in Extended Reality (XR). The goal is to investigate current concepts such as "redirected walking" and "haptic retargeting" in Virtual and Extended Realities and to identify potential opportunities for misuse. The candidate will use a user-centered design approach to implement various perceptual manipulations and demonstrate the potential for misuse in user studies. Subsequently, security concepts will be developed and implemented with the goal of preventing potential misuse. The methods needed for this research are very interdisciplinary and are based in the fields of design (user-centered design) and computer science (prototyping, user evaluation) and psychology (psychology of perception).
A successful candidate has:
- A completed university degree (Master or equivalent) in computer science or a related field; basic knowledge of psychology is an advantage
- A desire to question, critique, and understand the world and technology
- The ability to work independently and creatively
- Strong interest in human-computer interfaces
- Knowledge of user interface design and the creation of physical prototypes
- Interest in interaction design
- Excellent programming skills for MR / AR / VR (e.g. C# and Unity3D or Unreal Engine)
- Strong teamwork and critical thinking skills
- English language skills are a prerequisite; German language skills are not required, but an advantage
Opportunity for further qualification (doctoral dissertation) is given. The fulfillment of the duties likewise enables the scientific qualifications of the candidate.
The Technische Universität Darmstadt intends to increase the number of female employees and encourages female candidates to apply. In case of equal qualifications applicants with a degree of disability of at least 50 or equal will be given preference. Wages and salaries are according to the collective agreements on salary scales, which apply to the Technische Universität Darmstadt (TV-TU Darmstadt). Part-time employment is generally possible.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter (describing your background, research experience and fit for the position and future interests), your CV (including a full list of publications, study transcripts and names and contact information of two references). Please send your application via email to: jan.gugenheimer(at)tu-darmstadt.de
Code No. 608
Published on: September 19, 2022
Application deadline: October 03, 2022
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.tu-darmstadt.de/universitaet/karriere_an_der_tu/stellenangebote/aktuelle_stellenangebote/stellenausschreibungen_detailansichten_1_484992.en.jsp abrufbar.