Order-No.: 708454 - PhD Position for 3 years 29,87 h/w
The Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) is one of the leading research universities in Germany. As a reform-oriented campus university, it uniquely combines the entire range of major scientific fields in one place. The dynamic coexistence of subjects and subject cultures offers researchers and students special opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration.
We invite applications for a PhD position as part of a DFG-funded research grant “Identity and prejudice in everyday interactions” under the supervision of Dr. Lusine Grigoyan.
The overarching goal of the project is to advance the understanding of how our own and others’ multiple group memberships contribute to our experiences of day-to-day interactions. The project combines three research lines. Subproject A aims to develop an information-based account of prejudice by investigating how people make inferences about individuals from their multiple group memberships. Subproject B focuses on the bi-directional relationship between intergroup contact and attitudes. Subproject C aims to uncover how minority groups cope with everyday experiences of discrimination and how these experiences affect their identity and attitudes. The project employs research designs with high ecological validity: ecological momentary assessment (experience sampling), factorial survey experiments, and virtual reality (VR) experiments.
The PhD candidate will be part of the Social Psychology department (chair: Prof. Wilhelm Hofmann). In this group, we study a broad array of topics in social psychology, including self-regulation and self-control, morality, intergroup relations, culture and values, decision-making, and behavioral economics/public policy. There is no teaching requirement for this position, but we can offer the opportunity to engage in research-oriented seminars at the bachelor or masters level.
The application package should include:
- a motivation letter explaining your interest and qualifications regarding the position;
- CV, including contact information of two professional references;
- transcript of grades and if available, a copy of master’s diploma;
- one writing sample (this can be an article or any other piece of academic writing).
The deadline for application is August 20, 2021. Please email all materials in a single pdf file to psych-sozial(at)rub.de with “PhD Position_IPEI” in the subject line. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be conducted via video call, therefore there are no travel expenses.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Master’s degree in psychology with a focus on social psychology (or an adjacent field such as personality psychology, social cognition, social neuroscience, sociology).
- Demonstrable interest in the topic of the project.
- The capacity to participate in an international and interdisciplinary research environment.
- Good computational and/or programming skills (e.g., R, Python).
- Advanced knowledge in research design and statistics.
- Familiarity with practices of transparency and open science.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively collaborate and communicate in academia.
- Excellent organizational skills, efficient working style.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Familiarity with experience sampling, factorial survey experiments, and/or VR experiments is an advantage. The ability to speak German is helpful but not necessary.
Candidates who only partially meet this profile are nonetheless strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is based on the German TVL-13 scale (29,87 h/w). The preferred starting month for the position is October 2021. The contract is limited to 3 years.
At the Ruhr-University Bochum, we seek to promote careers of women in areas in which they have been underrepresented, and we would therefore like to encourage female candidates to send us their applications. Applications by suitable candidates with severe disabilities and other applicants with equal legal status are likewise most welcome.
The job posting can also be accessed here: www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/de/informationen-zur-erhebung-personenbezogener-daten
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.stellenwerk-bochum.de/jobboerse/order-no-708454-phd-position-3-years-2987-hw-bochum-210709-478042 abrufbar.