PhD Student in Nutritional Epidemiology
The Institute of Primary Health Care of the University of Bern (BIHAM) is dedicated to train and foster the next generation of primary care physicians and to carry out research in primary health care, epidemiology, and public health. The BIHAM offers a lively, interdisciplinary environment with excellent methodological support and access to a large network of practicing primary care physicians.
We are looking for a PhD Student in Nutritional Epidemiology to join the research team of the BIHAM (www.biham.unibe.ch) and work on a research project funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) about the association of dairy intake and inflammation with cognitive decline using data from several large international cohorts, including metabolomic and genetic data (P.I. Dr. Patricia Chocano-Bedoya). The student will work under the guidance of Dr. Patricia Chocano-Bedoya MD PhD (Head of Ageing Research at the BIHAM) and Prof. Nicolas Rodondi MD MAS (Professor Primary Care and Internal Medicine, Head of Ambulatory Care, Clinic of General Medicine, Inselspital and Director of the BIHAM, Switzerland), and collaborate with partners from Switzerland, the Netherlands, United States and Italy.
Duties and responsibilities
- Analyze datasets from international collaborations
- Write research protocols and manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals
- Assist supervisor in various scientific activities
- Present own work at international conferences and publish articles in peer-reviewed journals.
Qualifications and skills
- Highly motivated with a strong interest for epidemiology and nutrition
- Holding a master degree in epidemiology, nutrition, medicine, psychology or any degree considered as equivalent
- Comfortable with statistical software (SAS preferable, basic knowledge of R is useful)
- High level of English proficiency (German or French is a plus)
- Ability to work efficiently, independently and with interdisciplinary teams.
After the PhD training the student will have learned skills in nutrition epidemiology, will be able to continue an academic career and post-doc and conduct epidemiological studies.
The post is available from February 2022, with negotiable starting date, and offered for 3 years. The PhD stipend is according to SNSF standards (current scale: www.snf.ch/SiteCollectionDocuments/allg_doktorierende_e.pdf
The BIHAM offers an international and interdisciplinary environment, closely related to the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine (ISPM; www.ispm.unibe.ch), the Clinical Trial Unit (www.ctu.unibe.ch) in Bern and the Population Health Laboratory (#PopHealthLab, projects.unifr.ch/pophealthlab/) at the University of Fribourg. We encourage independence and flexible working models.
For further information on the position, contact Dr. Patricia Chocano-Bedoya, patricia.chocano(at)biham.unibe.ch.Please send your application including a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae to Human Resources administration: hr(at)biham.unibe.ch. Applications are considered until December 10th, 2021
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://ohws.prospective.ch/public/v1/jobs/0868bb5e-ed3d-4d1d-863f-7a198b63644a abrufbar.