Doctoral Researcher in Engineering Psychology
Application closes on
School of Science
Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 12 000 students, 400 professors and close to 4 000 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The Department of Computer Science is an internationally oriented community and home to world-class research in modern computer science, combining research on foundations and innovative applications. With over 40 professors and more than 450 employees from 45 countries, it is the largest department at Aalto University and the largest computer science unit in Finland. Computer science research at Aalto University ranks high in several prominent surveys (47th worldwide and 9th in Europe in Shanghai subject ranking 2019; and 56th worldwide in Times Higher Education subject ranking 2020).
We are now looking for a
Doctoral Researcher to join the Aalto Engineering Psychology Group.
Your role and goals
We are searching for a full-time Doctoral Researcher working on engineering psychology in computing systems. The research will focus on user studies and interactive systems. This position will be funded based on an initial 2-year contract + 2 years extension. The key idea is to apply theories, models, and methods from psychology to research in human-computer interaction.
Your network and team
The Aalto Engineering Psychology Group concentrates on research on human-computer interaction to improve theories and methods in engineering psychology. Currently, research activities focus on applying research methods from experimental psychology and theories of social cognition to Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, Artificial intelligence, and Human augmentation.
Your experience and ambitions
- eligible for PhD study at Aalto University (https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoralsci/How+to+apply#Howtoapply-Eligibility)
- a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Human-computer interaction, Psychology or a related field
- excellent knowledge in at least one of these three key areas: quantitative user studies, virtual/augmented reality, intelligent systems/AI
- very good in scientific writing and communication skills
- very good knowledge of statistics and quantitative data analysis, hands-on experience with SPSS, R, or Python
- very good knowledge in programming languages relevant for one of the key areas
- strong interest in experimental psychology research
- very good knowledge in the design, planning, and execution of empirical studies
- commitment to and interest in the design and implementation of Open Science practices
- very good in teamwork in an interdisciplinary collaboration setting
- very good English skills
What we offer
By working in our group, you would get the possibility to join a top-notch research environment in human-computer interaction and have a strong collaboration with other research groups in Aalto and the EU. You would also be able to travel for visits or exchanges with other world-class research groups outside Finland.
The starting salary for the position is 2 602,14 EUR per month. In addition to the salary, the contract includes occupational health benefits, and Finland has a comprehensive social security system. The annual total workload of research and teaching staff at Aalto University is 1 612 hours. The position is located at the Aalto University Otaniemi campus.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application through our recruitment system. We will review applications as they arrive, and the position will be filled in as soon as a suitable candidate has been found. You will hear from us the latest within four weeks from the application submission.
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can reach out to Assistant Professor Robin Welsch firstname.lastname@example.org with the topic “PhD position in Engineering Psychology".
If you are already working at Aalto University, please apply via our internal Workday system (Career).
To apply, please share the following application materials in one pdf file with us:
- Letter of motivation
- Degree certificates and transcript of records (BSc and MSc)
- Contact details of at least two referees (or letters of recommendation, if already available)
- Any papers/reports/writing/blog/portfolio demonstrating your research and writing
Want to know more about us and your future colleagues? You can watch these videos: Aalto University – Towards a better world, Aalto People, and Shaping a Sustainable Future. And this webpage about Aalto and Finland. www.aalto.fi/en/services/welcome-to-aalto-university-and-finland-info-package
Check out our new virtual campus experience: virtualtour.aalto.fi
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.aalto.fi/en/open-positions/doctoral-researcher-in-engineering-psychology abrufbar.