PhD Position(s): Project on organizational learning from product failure: utilizing artificial intelligence to mitigate the negative spillover effects of product recalls in the pharmaceutical industry
100%, Zurich, fixed-term
This project aims to study how organizations learn from product failures, including product recalls, and how such events affect the organization and its stakeholders. Focusing on the pharmaceutical industry and specifically on the safety of medications, the study uses machine learning and natural language processing to analyze data from various sources, such as clinical trials, FDA reports, social media platforms, and patient-driven communities, to identify potential hazards and assess their impact.
The research delves into the impact of drug recalls on an organization's future product development and overall product portfolio, as well as its repercussions on various stakeholders, especially patients suffering from rare or difficult-to-treat diseases. The goal is to develop better management practices that promote innovation. The project should culminate in a thesis composed of at least three high-quality research papers targeted at the field’s leading journals.
You will be co-supervised by Prof. Georg von Krogh and a team of senior researchers at SMI (http://www.smi.ethz.ch/group-people.html).
- You should hold a MSc, MA, or MPhil degree (MBAs are not eligible) in computer science or business administration, or in related fields such as, psychology, mathematics, engineering, physics or statistics.
- You should have a strong affinity with AI/Machine Learning.
- You should have the competence to manage and process a variety of data, some background in statistics, and/or a strong background and expertise in a pharmaceutical-related field.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills are required.
- You are curious, learning-oriented and self-directed, enjoy collaborating in teams, and have a strong interest in contemporary issues in management and organizations.
- Given the research-focused orientation of the Chair, we are specifically looking for an aspiring scholar with career ambitions in academic research.
We offer an inspiring, supportive, and team-based research environment to support your immediate immersion into an ambitious research agenda. Our team consists of a dynamic and international group of researchers who share a common vision of contributing significantly to the highest-level academic research in the fields of strategic management and innovation. We direct our work to topics such as knowledge management, information systems innovation, collaborative innovation, organization and management theory, and competitive strategy. The team has an excellent track record for publishing in the field’s leading journals (including The Academy of Management Journal, Harvard Business Review, Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Nature Biotechnology, Management Science, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal), and has a strong international network of collaborators.
We offer competitive salary conditions. Funding is secured for at least three years. For more information on employment at ETH Zurich, see www.ethz.ch/en/the-eth-zurich/working-teaching-and-research.html.
Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich ethz.ch/en/the-eth-zurich/working-teaching-and-research.html
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application by June 10th 2023:
- A cover letter motivating your interest in the position
- Curriculum Vitae (1-2 pages)
- University diplomas and transcripts
- Master thesis and other research papers
- At least one reference letter
We will be conducting preliminary interviews on June 14th through Zoom. Candidates who meet the requirements will be invited to undertake a brief technical task, which should be submitted by 15:00 (CET) on Friday, June 16th. We will hold final follow-up interviews on June 21st, 2023, in-person at ETH Zurich if feasible.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted in unzipped pdf files through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information, please visit our homepage: www.smi.ethz.ch or contact Ms. Ingrid Lienhard by phone +41 44 632 83 32 or by e-mail ilienhard(at)ethz.ch (please do not send applications directly; no soliciting).
Jetzt online bewerbenhttps://emea2.softfactors.com/job-opening/rgum-fiZ9w50OkPcWFHm3uv#!/?lang=en
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.jobs.ethz.ch/job/view/JOPG_ethz_fiZ9w50OkPcWFHm3uv abrufbar.