The Cluster of Excellence 2060 "Religion and Politics. Dynamics of Tradition and Innovation" at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität (WWU) incorporates the disciplines history, political science, sociology, Catholic and Protestant theology and law; representatives from Islamic studies, Islamic theology, Jewish studies, Egyptology, classical and early Christian archaeology, philosophy, philology, art history and ethnology complete the interdisciplinary spectrum. More information on the participating departments and on the general research profile of the Cluster of Excellence can be found at www.uni-muenster.de/Religion- und-Politik/en/.
The Cluster of Excellence at the University of Münster (WWU), Germany, is seeking to fill three positions for
Postdoctoral Research Associates
(salary level TV-L E 13)
commencing from 1 March 2022. We are offering three fixed-term full-time positions until 31 December 2025 (corresponding to the funding period of the Cluster).
- Collaboration with the Cluster of Excellence in the interdisciplinary research fields, theory platforms and research clouds
- Work on your academic project
- Participation in and organisation of scientific events
- A successfully completed doctorate in the field of humanities, cultural studies, law, the social sciences or theology. Applications from academic systems where grades are given should have at least a distinction (in the German system, magna cum laude or above). Applications from academic systems without grades should demonstrate the quality of their work through a letter of support from an academic advisor, not longer than one page.
- An independent academic profile, documented by relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes
- An outline for a research project that complements the Cluster’s research agenda. Applicants are kindly requested to provide up to five pages describing their intended project (including a bibliography and a project work plan), connected to one of the Cluster’s research fields: “Transcultural entanglement and disentanglement,” “Religious diversity and legal-political unity” or “Criticism of religion and apologetics” (preferably with a postcolonial perspective and an empirical focus). We particularly welcome projects that examine asymmetrical power relations that occur when different religions come into contact. We understand a postcolonial perspective to be applicable to various historical periods and geographical areas.
- Very good networking within the international research community, documented by successful active participation in conferences and joint projects
- Willingness to actively and visibly participate in the research programme of the Cluster of Excellence as well as in the respective international specialist discourses
- Open-mindedness towards interdisciplinary research approaches as well as communication skills for dealing with international researchers
- A good command of written and spoken English is essential
- A solid knowledge of written and spoken German is an advantage; the Cluster supports international members in acquiring or improving their German language skills
- Experience with archival work, empirical source work and/or field research is advantageous
- Communication skills and interdisciplinary mediation skills are of particular importance for research collaboration with our Cluster
The University of Münster is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the proportion of women academics. Consequently, we actively encourage applications by women. Female candidates with equivalent qualifications and academic achievements will be preferentially considered within the framework of the legal possibilities.
The University of Münster is committed to employing more staff with disabilities. Candidates with recognised severe disabilities who have equivalent qualifications are given preference in hiring decisions.
Positions can generally be filled as part-time positions if there are no compelling work-related reasons against doing so.
If you have any questions about our call for applications, please contact the coordinator of postdoc funding, Dr Julia Simoleit (julia.simoleit(at)uni-muenster.de).
Are you interested? Then we look forward to receiving your application by e-mail in a PDF file by 22 October 2021 to the following address:
University of Münster
Cluster of Excellence “Religion and Politics. Dynamics of Tradition and Innovation“
Prof Nils Jansen
48143 Münster Germany
The application should include a cover letter, CV, copies of certificates, a list of publications and a project description (as detailed above) in a single PDF file. Please note that we cannot accept other file formats.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.uni-muenster.de/Rektorat/Stellen/ausschreibungen/st_20210908_sk1.html abrufbar.