45,000 students and 8,000 employees in teaching, research and administration, all working together to shape perspectives for the future – that is the University of Münster (WWU). Embedded in the vibrant atmosphere of Münster with its high standard of living, the University’s diverse research profile and attractive study programmes draw students and researchers throughout Germany and from around the world.
The Institute of Geoinformatics in the Faculty of Geosciences at the University of Münster (WWU), Germany, is seeking to fill the position of a
Postdoctoral Research Associate
(salary level TV-L E 13, 80%)
for the externally funded project 3-D Sketch Maps commencing on 1 November 2021. We are offering a fixed-term part-time position (80%) for 4 years until 31 October 2025 (corresponding to the project’s duration).
- collaboration in the externally funded project on 3-d sketch maps conducted together with cognitive scientists, computer scientists and architects
- work analysing 3-d sketch maps from the perspective of spatial cognition and geoinformatics: what information is present in 3-d sketch maps and how different 3-d sketch maps can be compared to each other
- design and psychometrically validate methods for the evaluation of 3-d sketch maps
- design user studies on the topic of 3-d spatial cognition
- create computer tools to analyse 2-d and 3-d sketch maps
- An academic degree (Master of Arts or Master of Science) in psychology and a PhD in psychology or architecture are required.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English is necessary in this international project. German language skills are not a requirement, but a willingness to learn is desirable.
- Substantial research experience working with sketch maps in the field of spatial cognition and geoinformatics must be documented (e.g., through publications).
- Demonstrated experience with planning and conducting empirical user studies at the intersection of spatial cognition and geoinformatics is a must.
- Experience in interdisciplinary research demonstrated by publications.
- Solid knowledge of qualitative aspects of sketch maps is desirable.
- Ideally, you have published studies using advanced statistical methods such as Bayesian mixed-effect models or comparable.
- A perfect candidate will also have experience in the topic of transferring 2-dimensional methods to 3-d in the field of geoinformatics or architecture.
- Documented experience with open science practices is a plus.
- Team-management skills and the ability to independently supervise student assistants is an advantage.
The University of Münster is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the proportion of women academics. Consequently, we actively encourage applications by women. Female candidates with equivalent qualifications and academic achievements will be preferentially considered within the framework of the legal possibilities.
The University of Münster is committed to employing more staff with disabilities. Candidates with recognised severe disabilities who have equivalent qualifications are given preference in hiring decisions.
Are you interested? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 24 September 2021 at:
Institut für Geoinformatik
Prof. Angela Schwering
You may also send us your application electronically, in PDF format, to schwering(at)uni-muenster.de. Candidates should submit a short statement of their research experience and interests and a CV including a list of publications. Please note that we cannot consider other file formats.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.uni-muenster.de/Rektorat/Stellen/ausschreibungen/st_20210809_sk1.html abrufbar.