Junior Professor in Learning Analytics in Higher Education with tenure-track (W1/ W3)
The FernUniversität in Hagen is Germany’s only state distance-learning university and with more than 75,000 students also its largest university. It conducts a wide range of theoretical and applied research in its five faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences, Psychology, Mathematics and Computer Science, Economics and Business Administration, and Law, as well as in interdisciplinary research clusters. On the basis of its blended learning model, it offers flexible, locationindependent degree and continuing education programs, making higher education accessible to students in a variety of life situations.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science invites applications for a
Junior Professor in Learning Analytics in Higher Education with tenure track (W1)
The position is initially limited to three years and will be extended for another three years after a successful intermediate evaluation. After a successful final evaluation and under waiver of a call for tenders, it will be transferred to a permanent position as
Full Professor in Learning Analytics in Higher Education (W 3).
This call for applications primarily addresses early stage scientists. However, if candidates are already established and furthermore have an outstanding scientific record, a direct appointment to the W3 position is possible.
The position is located in the faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science and affiliated with CATALPA – Center of Advanced Technology for Assisted Learning and Predictive Analytics, a central research unit of the FernUniversität formerly named D²L² which is currently in the process of expanding. More than 50 researchers at CATALPA are working to support personalized learning using artificial intelligence and through the development of adaptive systems, and to embrace learner and teacher diversity as a natural part of teaching.
CATALPA collaborates closely with the FernUniversität´s faculties and with highly ranked research institutions such as the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, the German Institute for Adult Education - Leibniz Center for Lifelong Learning, the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin and the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society in Berlin.
We are now looking for an outstanding candidate with a strong background in applications of learning analytics (or educational data mining), preferably within higher education. Significant experience in implementing learning environments or applications enhanced by learning analytics is expected. Additional competencies in related areas including data analytics and machine learning, as well as developing and evaluating graphical user interfaces presenting analytics results (e.g., to support awareness) are highly appreciated.
- The successful candidate will be expected to contribute significantly to shaping CATALPA’s future research strategy and activities. Participation in interdisciplinary cooperation and collaboration within CATALPA will be essential.
- Since the primary focus of the position is research, it comes with a correspondingly low teaching load within the bachelor’s and master’s degree programs of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science.
- significant scientific achievements at high international standards including the acquisition of substantial external funding at the respective level of qualification
- significant experience in implementing learning environments or applications enhanced through learning analytics at the respective level of qualification
- fulfillment of the formal prerequisites according to paragraph 36 of the Hochschulgesetz (Higher Education Act) of North Rhine-Westphalia
What we offer:
- The opportunity to conduct research in a unique environment which enables field experiments with a large and highly diverse student body
- Well-equipped facilities and top-notch university services to support you and your team
- An open, stimulating and interdisciplinary work environment, with a portfolio of policies and services to support employee health and a family-friendly working environment
Salary and benefits:
The salary and benefits of the position are according to the status of (tenured) civil servants (Beamte auf Zeit (W1)/Lebenszeit (W3)) in Germany, and correspond to level W1 resp. W3 of the civil servant salary scale. In the W1-position you can also be correspondingly employed under private law. Additional benefits include a subsidy for health care expenses as a supplement to public or private health insurance, family allowance, and inclusion in the state pension plan for civil servants.
Did we spark your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application (in English or German) with the usual documents (CV, copies of certificates and degrees, list of publications and teaching experience, research concept) sent by mail to Rektorin der FernUniversität in Hagen, 58084 Hagen or by e-mail to berufungen(at)fernuni-hagen.de. Please mention for which level you are applying The deadline for applications is 12.12.2022. The FernUniversität in Hagen is committed to increasing the proportion of women in research and teaching. Qualified female candidates are expressly encouraged to apply. Women with equal qualifications, abilities and professional performance will be given preferential consideration, unless there are compelling reasons for preferring an outstanding male candidate. Candidates with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.fernuni-hagen.de/uniintern/arbeitsthemen/karriere/stellen/professuren/index117865.shtml abrufbar.