Reference number 1195/1214
The FernUniversität in Hagen is Germany’s only state distance-learning university. On the basis ofits blended learning model, it offers flexible, location-independent degree and continuing education programs, making higher education accessible to students in a variety of life situations. It conducts a wide range of theoretical and applied research in its five faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences, Psychology, Mathematics and Computer Science, Economics and Business Administration, and Law, as well as in interdisciplinary research clusters.
Positions are available immediately with a flexible start date at the interdisciplinary research cluster Digitalization, Diversity and Lifelong Learning – Consequences for Higher Education (D²L²), a recently implemented, faculty-independent central research unit of the FernUniversität in Hagen which is currently in the process of expanding, for
3 Junior Research Group Leaders (100%) (E14 TV-L)
The positions are offered for an initial 3 years, with the option of a 2-year extension following an interim evaluation. The positions are full-time with a gross salary range of 54,000 to 67,000 euro annually, which is calculated according to the candidate’s prior experience and qualifications based on level 14 of the collective bargaining agreement for German civil service employees (TV-L). Each group comes with a funded PhD position, access to an excellent field for experiments, and a budget for materials, equipment and operating costs associated with the project.
D²L² investigates frameworks for and consequences of digitalization in the higher education landscape. Current areas of focus include defining and assessing educationally relevant aspectsof student diversity and using technology to develop adaptive approaches to teaching and student support.
The Junior Research Group Leaders will cooperate with D²L²-members from various disciplines. They include researchers at the FernUniversität as well as high-ranking cooperating institutions such as the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), the German Institute for Adult Education - Leibniz Center for Lifelong Learning (DIE), Humboldt Universität zu Berlin (HU) and the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) in Berlin
The Junior Research Group Leaders are encouraged to actively shape the cluster's future research strategy and activities. Although the position is oriented towards candidates in the disciplines of computer science, educational science, psychology, and sociology who cancontribute empirical research and/or technical implementations, candidates from other backgrounds who are able to bridge disciplinary gaps or contribute new, relevant areas of expertise to the cluster are also welcome to apply.
For more information about D²L² (scientific framework, team and partners, existing projects, etc.), visit our website: e.feu.de/english-d2l2 or contact Dr. Stephanie Steimann, Administrative Director: email@example.com.
- Design the group’s research profile and build up an internationally visible, independent research group that makes central contributions to the cluster, preferably in the areas of computer science, educational science, psychology or sociology.
- Central contributions will include (i) publishing in high-ranked publications, (ii) collaborating with other D²L² members, (iii) with the relevant background: software development/implementation, (iv) attracting additional funding and (v) advising and engaging PhD candidates.
Your Profile: You are
- a postdoctoral researcher in a discipline relevant to the cluster with a strong publication record
- an independent scientist who wants to shape research in the cluster. You have the ability to conduct highly visible and high-impact research and are willing to attract additional funding for your research group
- interested in interdisciplinary and collaborative research and open to new ideas
- able to supervise PhD candidates
- The opportunity to conduct independent research in a unique environment which enables field experiments with a large and highly diverse student body.
- Financial and material support for your research including a funded PhD position and further funding for materials and expenses contingent on your research proposal (for example, student assistant, technical equipment and support, etc.).
- An open, stimulating and interdisciplinary work environment where good ideas are encouraged and supported.
- The opportunity to teach in the faculty nearest to your discipline.
Applicants please submit a single pdf document containing:
1. An application consisting of: (a) letter of motivation (1 page); (b) curriculum vitae;(c)list of publications; (d) link to Google Scholar/ResearchGate profile (or similar); and (e) copy of PhD certificate;
2. An outline of the concept for a research group demonstrating the link to the cluster´s scientific framework and existing projects, including a short outlinefor a PhD project (max. 2 pages);
3. The name and contact information of two referees (position, professional address, phone number and email)
We offer you an interesting position with a great deal of independence, as well as a salary according to the collective labor a greement for German public service and a supplementary pension through the state pension agency Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder (VBL). You w ill also benefit from our extensive opportunities for continuing education and professional development, wide range of occupational health services, and family-friendly policies and services.
The FernUniversität in Hagen is committed to increasing the proportion of women in research and teaching. Qualified female candidates are expressly encouraged to apply. Women with equal qualifications, abilities and professional performance will be given preferential consideration, unless there are compelling reasons for preferring an outstanding male candidate. Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. Part-time employment is possible.
We look forward to receiving your application (in English or German) by 15 November 2020 via e-mail to Dr. Stephanie Steimann:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://www.fernuni-hagen.de/imperia/md/content/arbeiten/stellenangebote/feu_d%C2%B2l%C2%B2_finding_junior_research_group_leaders.pdf abrufbar.