PhD Opportunity in Biomedical Ethics (Animal Ethics Implement-3R)
The Institute for Biomedical Ethics at the University of Basel (IBMB), Switzerland (http://ibmb.unibas.ch/), is dedicated to research and teaching of biomedical ethics at the Medical and Science Faculties. We are currently looking for dynamic and independent graduate students (Master's degree) or medical/veterinary students who are interested in carrying out their PhD work in biomedical ethics. The project for which we have funding examines ethical issues related to the 3Rs:
Implementing 3Rs in Switzerland: an interdisciplinary in-depth exploration of barriers and facilitators [Implement-3R] Background: The national and international regulatory framework concerning the use of animals for research stipulates adherence to the 3R principles (“replace, reduce, refine”). In addition, Swiss law requires researchers to demonstrate a favourable benefit-harm ratio to justify animal experiments. Given the important role of researchers concerning 3R-interpretation and implementation, the project will explore experiences and attitudes of researchers, members of animal ethics commissions and academic leaders using a mixed-methods approach. The aim is to establish an evidence-based dialogue between researchers and regulators and to improve the implementation of 3R-methods in Switzerland.
Project parts and methods: Review of the existing frameworks both from a theoretical (legal text and ethical guideline analysis) and empirical perspective (description of the process by involved stakeholders). Qualitative semi-structured interviews and focus groups will be employed to address barriers and possible solutions to facilitate the implementation of the 3Rs.
Position Available starting: Fall 2022
Length of PhD Program: 3 years (full-time)
PhD Salary: In accordance with SNSF doctoral salary guideline
- Master's degree in animal ethics, philosophy, psychology, bioethics, (computer) science, medicine, and other related fields.
- Excellent language skills in English.
- Ability to speak and understand German or French is highly desirable.
- Willingness to contribute towards an empirical project.
- Outstanding Master's and Bachelor's academic grades.
- Enthusiasm, responsibility and interest in an academic career.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research design.
We offer you
- Enrolment in a Swiss Bologna accredited PhD Program in Bioethics, Health Policy and Legal medicine.
- Student will complete empirical methods courses as part of the PhD Program in order to successfully conduct their PhD Project.
- Student will have the opportunity to engage in a cutting-edge topic of ethics and digitalization.
- Student will also have the possibility to contribute to the academic life at the IBMB, including contributions to teaching, as well as collaboration in other research projects and academic publications in peer reviewed journals.
Environment: The University of Basel is the oldest Swiss university with a long tradition in ethics and the humanities. It has a long-standing reputation in outstanding research and teaching. Doctoral candidates at the University come from many international countries providing a vibrant and rich community. More information about the University is available at the following website: www.unibas.ch/en/University/About-University.html. The city of Basel is a global centre for biomedical research with major academic institutions and research departments of leading life science companies. Basel is a multicultural city and ranks among the best in terms of quality of life.
Application / Contact
Applications must be submitted in English and should include in a single PDF file: (1) A detailed CV, including an overview of study results (grades), the title of your master thesis, contact information of (at least) two (academic) referees, and a PDF-file of the master thesis; (2) A motivation letter (maximum two pages, double-spaced, font 12), specifying your interests in the topic and PhD at Basel. Applications for the project should be sent via email directly to Dr. D. Shaw (david.shaw(at)unibas.ch) and Prof. B. Elger (b.elger(at)unibas.ch) with email subject “Implement-3R” by July 15th 2022.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://jobs.unibas.ch/offene-stellen/phd-opportunity-in-biomedical-ethics/0ea88248-1278-4ae0-889d-24b09e1aeef0 abrufbar.