Psychology and Behavioural Sciences, Dept. of - Aarhus BSS
Postdoctoral position in a research project on “The experience and consequences of boredom”
Deadline: 30 Sep
Expected start: 1 Feb
Psychology and Behavioural Sciences,
Dept. of Bartholins Allé
118000 Aarhus C
Fixed term full-time position 1 Feb 2022 - 31 Jan 2025
The Department of Psychology and Behavioural Sciences at Aarhus BSS, Aarhus University invites applications for a 3-year postdoctoral position (100% salary) as part of a larger research project on “The experience and consequences of boredom” funded by the Velux Foundation. The starting date is February 1, 2022, or subject to mutual agreement. The position is strongly research oriented but contains some teaching responsibilities.
The research project
We aim at making a significant contribution to our understanding of what characterizes boredom and how the individual handles the experience of the emotion. We will investigate how boredom impacts psychological wellbeing in everyday life, examining who is most severely affected and why. Thus, this project will nuance our understanding of the personal challenges that arise with boredom and additionally serve to illuminate individual coping strategies. Finally, we will examine the destructive potential of boredom by exploring aggressive and antisocial behavior that may occur in the wake of it. Hereby, the project uncovers both the negative consequences of boredom and the potential solutions to the associated challenges faced by both the individual and society at large.
The postdoc will work on this exciting project in collaboration with and mentored by Associate Professor Stefan Pfattheicher. The successful applicant will be embedded in a strong international research lab where cooperation, creativity, and kindness are valued.
- A PhD in psychology or a related field (e.g., social sciences, behavioral economics)
- Genuine interest in the analysis of boredom and related constructs
- First-authored publications in leading international journals
- Advanced knowledge in research design and methods (running extensive experimental studies; experience sampling studies)
- Advanced knowledge in statistics, programming of studies
- Familiarity with practices of transparency and open science
- Experience and interest in training and supervising junior scientists
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively collaborate and communicate in academia and to the public at large.
Candidates who only partially meet this profile are nonetheless encouraged to apply.
Who we are
The Department of Psychology and Behavioural Sciences is one of six departments at Aarhus BSS, one of the five faculties at Aarhus University. Aarhus BSS unites the social science and business-related research fields and brings them closer together to reflect the close relationship between society and the business community. As part of a Top 100 university, Aarhus BSS - and the Department of Psychology and Behavioural Sciences – has achieved the distinguished AASCB, AMBA and EQUIS accreditations.
For more information about the Department of Psychology and Behavioural Sciences, please visit here.
For further information
For further information about the position, please contact: Stefan Pfattheicher, sp(at)psy.au.dk. If you need help uploading your application or have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Coordinator Mette Fisker Præstegaard, Tel.: +45 8715 2497, Email: mfp(at)au.dk
Place of Work
Department of Psychology and Behavioural Sciences, Bartholins Alle 9, 8000 Aarhus C.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners: ias.au.dk/au-relocation-service/. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here: international.au.dk/research/
Aarhus University also offers a Junior Researcher Development Programme targeted at career development for postdocs at AU. You can read more about it here: talent.au.dk/junior-researcher-development-programme/
Terms of employment
The appointment is made in accordance with the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities as well as the circular on the Collective Agreement for Academics Employed by the State (in Danish).
The job content and qualification requirements are described in further detail in the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
When you apply for this position it is mandatory to attach the following:
- Curriculum Vitae. You are encouraged to declare any periods of leave without research activity, including, for example, maternity leave, since your research activities are assessed in relation to your actual research time
- Education (diploma for master's, PhD and possibly higher doctoral degree)
- List of publications (the enclosed publications must be clearly marked on the list of publications)
- Publications. Up to three publications can be included in the application. In the event of several authors the publications must be accompanied by a co-author statement concerning the applicant's share of the collaborative work with the consent of the co-authors. Please use this template
- Teaching portfolio. The specific requirements regarding the documentation can be found here
Materials which cannot be uploaded together with the application may be submitted in three copies to Aarhus BSS HR & PhD, Aarhus University, Tåsingegade 1, 2nd floor, DK-8000 Aarhus C.
Read more about how to apply for an academic post at Aarhus BSS here
The evaluation process
After the application deadline, an assessment committee is appointed. Please note that the assessment of applicants is based solely on the material received prior to the application deadline. For further information, see Guidelines for Assessment Committee, Aarhus BSS.
Aarhus University’s ambition is to be an attractive and inspiring workplace for all and to foster a culture in which each individual has opportunities to thrive, achieve and develop. We view equality and diversity as assets, and we welcome all applicants.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
Die Ausschreibung ist auch im Internet unter https://international.au.dk/about/profile/vacant-positions/job/postdoctoral-position-in-a-research-project-on-the-experience-and-consequences-of-boredom abrufbar.